The Sooke Longboats were bulit between Oct. 1989 to April 1990 at Edward Milne Community School, and were owned by EMCS, School District No. 62
February 2004 - Volunteers maintained the longboats.The boats were placed on shore so the hull can be cleaned.
Students from Edward Milne Community School would work
sanding the oars while other volunteers would wash the hull.
The Sooke Classical Boating Society are the new owners of the longboats.
Since 1991 the Women's Longboating Committee met at the Sooke
Marine Industries at 2019 Kaltasin Road. The boats were looked after by Edward Milne Community School Society, but in 2010 the boats were transferred to the Sooke Classical boating Society.
The longboats were made in the celebration of Sooke's bicentennial
– June 1990 – commemorating Manuel Quimper's landing in Sooke,
June 1790. There are two boats:
One named the "T'Sou-ke" which means stickleback
fish, the name of Sooke's first peoples, the proud T'Sou-ke Native
The other the "Donna Rosa" was inspired by Manuel
Quimper naming of Sooke's Secretary Island "Dona Rosa", likely
after the Viceroy of Mexico's wife.